Over the past few months I have experienced some very "human" things.
Some of those are:
- a 30 something that died of cancer who I knew as a teenager. He gave me a pair of shorts that I wore throughout my high school wrestling career.
- my grandfather dying only weeks after I took portraits of him on his land in the back woods of eastern Tennessee.
- a couple of high school acquaintances committing suicide
- a co-workers husband died just days after they asked me to shoot portraits of them. We never shot the portraits.
- my wife's great aunt got diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer and died weeks later.
- John Krakauer's book Into Thin Air. (this was just as emotional as someone dying)
-a few more that I won't mention
Through these , I've finally conceptualized why my photos are so valuable.
They capture life.